Best Ladies' Day Ever!
Petersham Oval was bathed in glorious April sunshine for the 2017 edition of Ladies’ Day. Female spectators were pampered with complimentary shoulder massages, make-overs, champagne, coffees and three high-scoring baseball games. Posthumously, Juan Antonio Samaranch described the event as the “Best Ladies’ Day Ever!”
Spectators were very generous in supporting our charity The Freedom Partnership, digging deep to raise $1,021; the largest fundraising effort in Ladies’ Day history. Jenny Stanger, TFP’s National Manager, exhibited a strong arm by throwing out the ceremonial first pitch prior to 1st Grade.
The day also marked the first leg of the Uni Cup versus inter-varsity rivals UNSW.
- 3rd Grade put on a fireworks display, exploding for a dominant 20 – 2 victory. All starters contributed in the 17 hits (including unlikely sources of extra-bases, Scott Moran and Sam Collins).
- 2nd Grade followed suit, sparked by a towering solo HR from Sonny Butterworth, to complete a 13-1 mercy-rule win.
- 1st Grade faced the strongest UNSW line-up in recent memory. In a seesawing contest where the Cynics took a late 2-run lead, fielding miscues and bullpen issues cost dearly; UNSW handing us an eventual 11 - 5 loss.
Tremendous thanks to our Official Sponsors:
- The West Village Petersham, for supplying free champagne and hosting the after-party where 40+ revellers extended the day into night.
- The Pig and Pastry Petersham, our favourite café, for providing complimentary hot drinks throughout the day.
Ladies’ Day can only succeed due to the tireless contributions of its members, much gratitude to: Event Manager Ben Warnock; Exec Committee Jasper Odgers, Anthony Palmer, Alex Cobb & Stuart Wright; MC Andrew Franklin; Canteen Managers Gail & Larry Arford; and Charity Partner Sydney Hirt.
Special thanks to Cynics players, coaches and members for volunteering, decorating, pouring champagne, selling raffle tickets, coffee runs, and cleaning-up. It was especially encouraging to see our new players embrace the occasion, and your strong efforts were duly noted by all.
Details will follow, but for now please mark your diaries.
- Cynics 1st Annual Golf Day – Sunday 18th June 2017
- Alumni Day – Saturday 15th July 2017