Petersham Oval was bathed in glorious May sunshine for the 2018 edition of Ladies’ Day. Female spectators were pampered with complimentary manicures, champagne, barista coffees from our favourite coffee shop The Pig and Pastry and three tight games of baseball.
We were proud to raise funds and support the Chris O'Brien Lifehouse this year, a charity close to our hearts. Spectators were incredibly generous in supporting our chosen charity, digging deep to raise $1,035; the largest fundraising effort in Ladies’ Day history! Thank you to all supporters for their benevolence.
Photos from the day, courtesy of John Podina, can be found here.
The day also marked the first leg of the Uni Cup versus inter-varsity rivals UNSW:
- 3rd Grade pulled of an exciting 5-4 walk off win to stay on top of the competition ladder. Both Ben Cobb and Scott Moran were strong on the mound, while Dean Pousini contributed 3 hits and 2 RBIs. Club President Wade Shipard fittingly scored the game winning run.
- 2nd Grade led the whole game and fought of a fervent UNSW come back to win 8-6. Jarryd Stanley was superb, pitching 7 strong innings while Sonny Butterworth hit a single, double and triple plus a trio of RBIs in a solid day at the plate.
- 1st Grade took an early 3-0 lead but ended up on the wrong end of a 6-5, 10 inning tussle. Adam Brown was stellar in his Club debut, striking out 6 over 4 innings of work while Nicholas Doller hit a towering homerun that is scheduled to land later this week.
- Over at Golden Jubilee Field, 4th Grade maintained their strong start to the season with a convincing 13-9 victory over Ku Ring Gai Stealers, which sees them in second place on the ladder.
Tremendous thanks to our sponsor The Pig and Pastry Petersham, our favourite café, for providing complimentary hot drinks to the Ladies' throughout the day!
Ladies’ Day can only succeed due to the tireless contributions of its members, much gratitude to: Event Manager Ben Warnock; President Wade Shipard, Exec Committee Jasper Odgers, Matt Kelleher, Dean Matheson, Dean Pousini and Andrew Franklin.
Special thanks to Cynics players, coaches and members for volunteering, decorating, pouring champagne, selling raffle tickets, coffee runs, and cleaning-up. It was especially encouraging to see our new players embrace the occasion, and your strong efforts were duly noted by all. A notable mention also to our collegiate comrades UNSW for supporting the day and getting behind the cause.
Details will follow, but for now please mark your diaries.
- Cynics Annual Golf Day – Saturday 3 June 2018
- Alumni Day – Saturday 7 July 2018
- Hong Kong International Baseball Open (HKIBO) - Mid December 2018